Just and Sustainable energy transition for people and the planet: how mayors are taking action to leave no one behind towards the Paris Agreement targets
Across the world, national and subnational governments are setting targets and developing policies to accelerate the transition to sustainable energy systems to achieve energy security and climate neutrality. They also collaborate with civil society, local communities, researchers, citizens and businesses to ensure that no one is left behind. A multilevel governance approach ensures policies reduce carbon emissions as well as tackle inequality in a consistent and inclusive manner thereby accelerating the green transition. Stronger collaboration with and among subnational governments can drive just and sustainable local energy transitions through targeted policies and investments.
Goksen Sahin / Senior Expert / ICLEI Europe,
- Jaume Collboni / Mayor of Barcelona
- Elizabeth Sackey / Mayor, Accra Metropolitan Assembly / Ghana
- Katrin Stjernfeldt Jammeh / Mayor of Malmö / Sweden
- Susan Aitken / Leader of City Council, Glasgow / UK
- Cristina Lobillo Borrero / Deputy Director General, Energy Platform Task Force, Directorate General for Energy / European Commission