EDUCATION AND SKILLS CHALLENGES AND ACTION FOR ACCELERATING GENDER EQUALITY IN THE JUST ENERGY TRANSITION.
Strengthening partnerships in the frameworks of the Equal by 30 Campaign and the Feminist Action for Climate Justice (FACJ) Action Coalition.
A discussion panel on progress and proposals to accelerate effective gender equality in the just energy transition, including a particular focus on education and skills challenges and action. A successful energy transition cannot be achieved without the full and meaningful participation of women and girls in all their diversity as change agents. This participation challenge is also a crucial opportunity for accelerating gender equality and the empowerment of women and girls. To attain an equal and meaningful participation of women at all levels and spheres of the just energy transition, public policies must effectively tackle the persistent gender inequalities underlying women’s underrepresentation in terms of education and vocational training, employment, entrepreneurship, innovation and leadership in the energy transition sector
Welcome and opening remarks:
Elena Pita / Biodiversity Foundation / Spanish Ministry for the Ecological Transition and Demographic Challenge.
Jemimah Njuki / UN Women
- Diandra Ní Bhuachalla / European Economic and Social Committee (EESC)
- Sandra McCardell / Environment and Climate Change Canada (ECCC)
- Natália Weber / Global Women’s Network for the Energy Transition (GWNET)
- René van Hell / Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs
- Agnes Mirembe / Action for Rural Women’s Empowerment (ARUWE, Ugandan partner organization in Women Engage for a Common Future – WECF Ecofeminist Network)
- Laura Martín Murillo / Just Transition Institute / Spanish Ministry for the Ecological Transition and the Demographic Challenge